For several decades, consultant/coach Thomas Brush has been helping business owners tackle and overcome the problems, challenges and obstacles that come with running a thriving business. But ‘things’ are different with COVID, right? Or are they?
At HMA’s National Conference and Expo in Austin, Brush’s presentation, “Being clear on what is Real,” began with this positive… “Every obstacle has an ‘attached’ opportunity.” And even though the COVID-19 pandemic has overwhelmed businesses with unprecedented obstacles, Brush’s counsel on being resilient during a pandemic echoed his tried-and-true pre-pandemic guidance:
Don’t panic. Every ‘situation’ is an opportunity to learn. Stick to the problem-solving basics. And get to work.
- Identify/recognize the challenges, issues, things, people – both internal and external – that are holding you back.
- Analyze the obstacle(s) – What more do I need to know/learn? What can I do differently? What are the opportunities? - then respond to what’s in front of you by taking the next step.
- Set a path forward, making realistic goals that are measurable and achievable. Review and re-evaluate along the way. And be flexible to realigning your game plan.
- Be sure to find ways to celebrate your successes and goal accomplishments – both large and small.
- When you get stuck, talk to and strategize with those in your inner business circle for comradery, support and guidance. (Their input is golden.)
Thomas Brush is the founder of Advancement Designs, www.advancementdesigns.com. He can be reached for comment at 443.595.6624 or firstname.lastname@example.org. And his entire presentation is available in the Members Only section of www.HMAmembers.org.