By Linda Jovanovich
HMA Executive Vice President
It’s January 2021! We are surviving! And while not totally ‘out of the woods,’ progress is being made. As I see it, it’s up to all of us to keep positive and confident that as the year progresses, we too will progress. To that end, it’s business as usual for the HMA. And here are your action items.
Action Item #1
Do you know of an eligible student that could benefit from the Susan M. Regan Memorial Scholarship? Annual Scholarships are available to provide financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an accredited forestry and/or wood products program.
- A scholarship may be awarded to: a junior or senior enrolled in a four-year institution; a second-year student enrolled in a two-year institution; a graduate student pursuing a master’s degree enrolled in a graduate school.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited Forestry/Wood Products program for the full school year, and not graduating mid-term.
- Eligibility requirements + a scholarship application are available at www.HMAmembers.org. Completed applications, along with all transcripts and references, must be received by January 15.
Action Item #2
It’s HMA NextGen Leaders Council nomination time, and if you have a ‘potential leader’ that is ready, willing and able to commit to a three-year term, now is the time to submit their name to Council Coordinator, Bob Miller, BMiller@FrankMiller.com. Nominations are being accepted through February 15.
Keep in mind that anyone currently employed in an HMA member company, under the age of 40 and recommended by an HMA member, is eligible to serve on the Council. And Council members:
- must be willing and available to work on various HMA sponsored projects to help further develop each Council member, and to offer insight and recommendations on improvements for the HMA.
- are encouraged to participate in HMA Board of Directors meetings, as well as Hardwood Federation Fly-Ins, in order to become familiar with all aspects of HMA and gain insight into industry issues.
Action Item #3
It’s game-on for HMA’s 2021 National Conference and Expo! The hybrid event is slated for March 24–26, at the Hyatt Regency, Austin, Texas. Online Registration is up and running. Don’t delay in making Hotel Reservations. I hope to hear from you regarding your interest in being a Conference Sponsor.
Here’s to a positive and progressive 2021! And I look forward to seeing you in Austin!