Members of the Southern Cypress Manufacturers Association (SCMA), along with SCMA promotion sponsors and other industry stakeholders, recently convened for SCMA’s Mid-Year Meeting. Held at the Hilton Norfolk The Main, the Mid-Year gathering coincided with the South Atlantic Regional Meeting of the Hardwood Manufacturers Association (HMA). And here’s why.
More than a few SCMA member companies are also members of the HMA. Case in point - Gates Milling, Inc., Gatesville, North Carolina and Josey Lumber Company, Inc., Scotland Neck, North Carolina - the tour locations for the HMA Regional Meeting! So it just made good sense to combine the two events. And as it turned out, the joint gathering was a win-win for all involved.
- SCMA Officers, members and promotion sponsors convened to update and discuss SCMA membership, promotion and other Association matters.
- The tours of Gates Milling, Inc. and Josey Lumber Company, Inc. provided a first-hand look at the latest technologies at work.
- All in attendance participated in and benefited from peer-to-peer networking and industry comradery.
Thank you to all who contributed to the success of the gathering. And looking ahead, we ask that you mark your calendars for what’s next on the SCMA agenda.
2020 Annual Meeting
Scheduled for Wednesday, March 25, at the JW Marriott, Nashville, Tennessee, the event is being held in conjunction with the Hardwood Manufacturers Association’s 2020 National Conference and Expo. All cypress producers, processors, and distributors are welcome to attend. Not an SCMA member, but thinking you should be? Visit www.CypressInfo.org to learn more. Then call us at 412.244.0440!
Speaking of a win-win …
As you know, SCMA’s Mission is the promotion of cypress building products to design professionals and consumers. As a non-profit organization, we rely on the financial support provided by our membership, and other industry associates, to accomplish our promotional goals. It is those non-member promotion sponsors that SCMA would like to spotlight here, and show our thanks by providing a brief description of what they are all about.
- BREWCO, Inc., Central City, Kentucky, manufactures horizontal resaws, and is best known for its B-1600 Grade Run-Around System. The B-1600 uses either a 4” wide or a 2” wide band. Brewco also manufactures the Big Jake Sharp Chain Scragg System and Auto Edger, Grade Edgers, Trimmers, and Material Handling Equipment.
- ISK Biocides, Inc., Memphis, Tennessee, manufactures and supplies wood stains and preservatives, end coatings and sapstain control chemicals for freshly cut logs and lumber.
- McGriff Insurance Services – National Forest Products Practice, Greenville, North Carolina, offers a full range of commercial insurance products designed specifically for the forest products industry. Founded in 1922, McGriff Insurance Services is one of the largest independent insurance agencies in the United States.
- SII Dry Kilns, Lexington, North Carolina, a leading manufacturer of hardwood kilns in the USA, offers multiple styles of kilns, as well as fan sheds and predryers. From the latest computerized controls to repairs of existing kilns, SII can provide the equipment and services needed.
To add your company name to this list, call the SCMA at 412.244.0440.